Sunday, February 15, 2015

Heather Died: the temple!

In my second video game (you can play the first here), you will visit the Miao Fa Buddhist Temple in Portland, Oregon. I had a friend go there to take reference photos for me, then set about re-creating as much of the temple as seemed reasonable for the art style. The real thing is gorgeous, with far more detail to look at, but... for the sake of time and sanity, I am watering it down a little. Still, I'm proud of the results.


In one segment, you will gaze into the eyes of Guanyin, the goddess of mercy. This was my favorite statue at the temple, so it was important that I recreate it. This one I did by whipping up an ink drawing, scanning it in, resizing, then resizing again to capture the pixely look. I draw the line at 500 pixels for my usual one-at-a-time method.


I also created a Soundcloud where you can hear the music in development for this game as well. Check it out. Another fond discovery was a folk song/chant for Guanyin, which I was easily able to cover. Players might think it's just some Chinese-sounding thing I wrote, but damn it, I'm doing my research!

No comments:

Post a Comment